Easily one of the best Opto comps on the market today. This unit was housed in a rack in a professional facility and treated with care. This unit is Inspired by the most iconic 1960's Optical Tube Compressor. A faithful, sonically period-correct reproduction of a LEGENDARY compressor using NOS Tubes and big, fat IRON!“THE” - FABLED OPTICAL TUBE COMPRESSOR - SONICALLY PERIOD-CORRECT & BUILT WITH INTEGRITY
The Opto Comp is our painstaking, high quality take on a famous 60's Optical Tube Compressor known for it’s sonic elegance, extremely musical compression and buttery smooth, hefty “box-tone” just by running audio through it tubes and transformers.
A faithful reproduction (with smart tweaks) of a LEGENDARY COMPRESSOR. This circuit is legendary for good reason and great care was taken to recreate it in true, sonically period-correct vintage tradition. Utilizing the finest NOS Tubes in the audio path, NOS Carbon Comp resistors for added authenticity and unrivaled box-tone, and our own handmade custom T4B Opto-Attenuator (made just as the craftsman of yesteryear did) that is the HEART of the OPTO COMP.One important addition is the high frequency control (limiter response) which we added to the front plate; you won’t know how you lived without this control being on the front! This was a control on the back and set from the factory depending on what the application. This potentiometer was factory set for recording as “flat” side-chain response (clockwise). Increasing the resistance of this potentiometer by turning it counter clockwise will result in compression which is increasingly more sensitive to the higher frequencies. It filters out low frequencies to the T4B module so it compresses the lows less and changes the 'focus' of the compression. Very handy indeed to have up front as the demo video below points out! We also hand build our T4B’s here in the vintage tradition using the resistor across the panel true to the vintage schematics) as opposed to the newer JBL era T4B’s used as a model for other manufacturers.
FEATURES & SPECS:
- Handcrafted in the USA
- Stylish 3U 19" Rackmount USA Made Case and Front Panel (aesthetically period-correct)
- Premium, NOS Tubes in Audio Section - New Production Tubes Don't Cut it in this Circuit
- AudioScape T4B Opto-Attenuator - Custom, Hand-Built and Sonically Period-Correct (true to vintage tradition).
- Exclusive, Custom-Wound Input Transformer (exacting replica of the original)
- Exclusive, Custom-Wound Output Transformer (exacting replica of the original)
- Cornell Dubilier (CDE) Polypropylene Capacitors
- Panasonic Radial Polyester Capacitors
- NOS Allen-Bradley Carbon Comp Resistors
- Carling (the BEST!) Toggle Switches
- +40dB Make-up Gain
- Analog dB Gain-Reduction Meter Perfectly Calibrated
- Davies Original-Styled Knobs
- Electronically Balanced +4dBu circuitry
- Neutrik XLR Input and Output connectors
- Alpha potentiometers and Rotary Switch
- Stereo Link via Cliff TRS Jack (Located on Back of Unit)
- Custom 120V/240V Power Transformer